Friday, March 27, 2009

Approaching Normal

Blue October's new album, Approaching Normal came out this past Tuesday. I have to say it does not disappoint. The songs were so great, just as I remembered them at the concert. As an added bonus for those of us who choose to buy the Clean version of the album, there is a different song for the last song that is not on the Explicit version. It is called Graceful Dancing, and it is very moving.


It replaces the song, The End, which was the one I posted about having to close my eyes during the concert. Well the verdict is in... although the music is very catchy, I can not ignore the very hardcore lyrics (probably the darkest song Blue October has ever put out, and that is saying a lot lol), so I won't be getting it.

Otherwise all the rest of the songs are super fantastic. I heart all of them. You can buy the album Here, or of course on iTunes. It is nice to see how much their music has grown and evolved.

I think Stephenie Meyer explained it perfectly when she said this about Blue October's music.."There is empathetic power in Blue October's music--the listener doesn't just sympathize with the feeling of the song, the listener has no choice but to feel the song as if the emotion was his/her own." That is exactly how I feel about them.

Speaking of Stephenie, My Never is the song on her Breaking Dawn playlist. Which is on the new album. So that is an added bonus for those of you that are Twilight Saga fans. It is such a pretty and emotional song.

Justin wrote it for his wife, who at the time (before their relationship) he never thought he'd have anything other than a friendship with her, even though he did have feelings for her. The only good quality version of the song I could find, was this acoustic version Justin sang at the Breaking Dawn Concert. Don't mind the Japanese animation. ;)



This next song, is the song that had me in tears at the concert. Justin wrote it about his daughter. It is called Blue Does.





And if I had to pick my most favorite song from the new album, it would have to be Jump Rope. This is the song Justin wrote for his daughter. It is so positive, upbeat, and just cute. It makes me happy to see Justin in such a better place in his life, than he was previously. And this song really shows that.

Here is a video from the concert we were at in Vegas. The sound isn't that great, it is much better in person and on the album. But it was the best I could find. Enjoy!



Here are the lyrics:

Remember how you used to say
You couldn't wait til tomorrow for a brand new day, and
No fuss when you had to ride the bus,
You just add a little blush to paralyze your school crush

Now your older and the weight is on you shoulder
Make the world a little colder
No more hiding in the old day
Be strong
Don't you give up hope
It will get hard
Life's like a jump rope

Up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, yeah
Cause it will get hard,
Remember life's like a jump rope
Up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, yeah
It will get hard,
Cause it will get hard

There'll be a bump and there will be a bruise
There'll be lumps and there will be a snooze
There'll be a path that you will have to choose
There'll be a win and there will be a lose, and
You gotta hold your head up high, and
Watch all the negativity go by
Don't ever be ashamed to cry
You go ahead
Cause life's like a jump rope

(Chorus)

I want to tell you that everything will be okay
That everything will eventually turn itself to gold
So keep pushing through it all
Don't follow, lead the way
Don't lose yourself, or your hope
Cause life's like a jump rope

(Chorus to jump rope chant with kids)

(Chorus to the end)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I LOVE this cd!!!! I can't pick a favorte song... My Never, Jump Rope, Kangaroo Cry.. I love them all!!! (except The End, it's icky!)