Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Movie, My Review

My thoughts on Twilight the movie...

I loved it! It was so good. All the actors did a fantastic job portraying their characters. They easily made me believe I was watching the "real" characters from the book, instead of actors playing the characters.

Robert is Edward hands down. But I never had any doubts that he would "be" Edward (ha to all you doubters ;p ). Holy crow, he had me in a mushy pile of goo.

Kristen Stewart did a perfect job portraying Bella. Her shyness, clumsiness, stubbornness, fearlessness and independent spirit.

The film did a wonderful job staying true to the story. Was it a word for word version of the book on film? No, but what movie can do that and actually have movie goers, that have never read the book, enjoy it? You just can't fit all that into a 2 hour movie. But almost everything was there, just rearranged or condensed.

I would've loved to have had the movie 5-6 hours long, so that we could get every single conversation between Edward and Bella that we get in the book. But that just wouldn't be a realistic expectation. You end up alienating and boring a huge chunk of the population that have no clue what Twilight is about. It just would not translate well to the film medium, if you were to do a word for word version of the story.

Do I wish there were some things or lines there that weren't included? Yes, of course (the blood typing chapter for instance). But again, it is not possible to please everyone in that regard. The books are always going to be better than the movies, no matter what book to movie we are talking about.

What matters is that I felt like I was there in Forks, witnessing the true story of Bella and Edward unfold before my eyes. Catherine Hardwicke, and of course Robert and Kristen, completely nailed it. That is what is important.

Some favorite parts for me were...

The Kiss *faints*

Edward's sparkle (I was pleasantly surprised at how well they were able to do this effect, because I was worried it was going to look cheesy and cheap)

The confrontation in the hospital after the accident

Baseball

The ballet studio

The prom (loved the little surprise at the end. Perfect lead in to the sequel)

All the little extras put in the film, that only those that are fans of the books would recognize (I found three)

Okay, I could go on and on. So maybe I should just say, "the whole movie", and save the time. LOL

Anyway, the movie gets a huge thumbs up from me. And Dan said he liked it. He's never read the books, so that is saying something right there. Especially coming from a "vampire purist".

See y'all later. I'm off to go watch it, for the third time, today! :D

5 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

Loved it too!

Rhonda said...

Sounds like you girls had a great time! I kept watching the news looking for you when they would talk about all the twilighters, waiting in line for hours and screaming! I told my husband "look for Amber". LOL...

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky Nelson said...

I am sorry to be the one to say that I did not like the movie. I thought Bella sucked. She had one emotion the whole movie. I was very sad. I loved the book so much more. I gave it a 2 out of 5 stars. I am glad you had a great time in Vegas. Keep me on your e-mail list, I love reading up-dates.

Chris Billings said...

If you ever want to get paid for writing movie reviews, etc....go to... (www.epinions.com) You can even add a link from your blog to there to get more traffic.

- Chris